Detroit, Mich., April 27, 2020 — When you’re potentially competing with video games, hunger pains, lack of parental support, and attention deficit, it becomes extremely difficult to garner online youth engagement for extracurricular educational purposes, but not for the Sound Mind Sound Body (SMSB) Football Academy.
Due to COVID-19, SMSB took their grass-root initiatives from the classroom and off the field to an online virtual program with over 100 student-athletes from across the states and Canada in attendance last week. Life skills, SAT Prep, recruiting fundamentals, and yoga were just a few motivators a part of the lesson plan.
But, last week’s virtual engagement wasn’t the only success for SMSB; in addition, an unprecedented moment was celebrated. During the NFL draft, 12 SMSB student-athletes were selected:
- Donovan Peoples-Jones (University of Michigan) – Cleveland Browns
- KJ Hamler (Penn State) – Denver Broncos
- Mekhi Becton (University of Louisville) – NY Jets
- Chase Young (Ohio State) – Washington Redskins
- Jashon Cornell (Ohio State) – Detroit Lions
- Darnay Holmes (UCLA) – NY Giants
- Mike Onwenu (University of Michigan) – New England Patriots
- James Morgan (Florida International University) – NY Jets
- KJ Osborn (University of Miami) – Minnesota Vikings
- Chase Claypool (Notre Dame) – Pittsburgh Steelers
- Kamal Martin (University of Minnesota) – Green Bay Packers
- Brian Cole (Mississippi State) – Minnesota Vikings
Through a unique curriculum that balances books and ball, since 2004, Sound Mind Sound Body Football Academy has served over 10,000 students worldwide, providing opportunity for over 2000 to attend college on full scholarship. Many have designated SMSB the top program in America for comprehensive student-athlete development.